TBL Journal Family = Superb Individuals
The Black Lion Journal welcomes Continuing and/or Exclusive submissions on:
• Reviews (Books/Film & TV/Music);
• Essays on Feminism & Academia;
• Articles on Travel, Life, & Aesthetics;
• Reviews or Commentary on Events;
• Articles on Literature;
• Articles or Opinions on Politics.
The submission period is open year-round.
The Black Lion Journal’s Credo is to create and uphold a standard of journal ethics. This means that: 1) You, as a contributor, are valued for being a part of the TBL Journal family; 2) Your work is your own and is only copyrighted to the Journal for being part of its archives; and 3) You also understand what TBL Journal stands for in its mission. TBL Journal does not aim to profit financially from you or your work. Any questions you may have can be answered by email at theblacklionjournal @gmail.com or by visiting the FAQ page. Copyright Policy
Please fill out the form with all required information.
Let’s Get Started
That’s it! Response time will be made in the order in which it was received.
Submissions to The Wire’s Dream Magazine
“By creating, placing, and giving value to someone or something, you give yourself the opportunity to reinterpreting traditional molds of authenticity and legitimacy; to create inclusion not by an effort to combine everything into a melting pot, but by accepting diversity in all of its shapes, sizes, colors, and abilities. You have the opportunity to dismantle boundaries that exclude and discriminate based on one’s sex, gender, sexuality, ethnicity/nationality, age, class, ability, or economic status.” — Christina Lydia
The Black Lion Journal welcomes creative work in Fiction, Poetry, Art, Creative Non-Fiction, Photography, or Combinación — a combination. Creative work can vary in whimsical, genre-blending, experimental, traditional, and/or minimalistic approaches — there is currently no specified theme to the creative work accepted, provided that anything accepted adheres to the Journal’s efforts in respecting and valuing unheard of and/or undervalued voices. Submissions are open year-round.
Fiction or Creative Non-Fiction
• 1 – 2 pieces at one time
• 500 – 2500 words per piece
If you’re submitting pieces on the longer side (more than 1000 words), please upload them in two separate Word documents. Mixing: 1 Fiction, 1 Creative Non-Fiction per submission is Okay! So is: 2 Fiction or 2 Creative Non-Fiction per submission.
• 1 – 5 poems per submission
• Place all poems within one Word document
Art & Photography
• 1 – 8 high quality resolution images per submission (resolution at 300) in .png or JPEG only
• Attach all images in one email; if the files are too large for one email, you may zip them in a folder and attach them that way. You may also attach them in more than one email; however, be sure that you name and number the emails (eg. “[Name] Email 1 of 2”)
If you’re concerned about where your work will fit in, be not afraid; it can live in the Combinación, or Combination category. Here, you will find pieces that merge genres and classifications, that are considered wordless or graphic narratives, or pieces that are experimental. Regardless of their form, submitting your work is simple:
• If your work is primarily visual, like a wordless narrative, please follow the guidelines for attaching .png or JPEG files.
• If your work is a combination of text and visual elements, like a graphic novel/comic chapter, then also follow the guidelines for attaching .png or JPEG files.
• If your work is primarily text based, then please follow the guidelines for attaching written Word documents.
Any questions can always be directed to theblacklionjournal @gmail.com.
• • •
By submitting, you authenticate that your work is your own and you give TBL Journal permission to post your work online and to maintain it in The Wire’s Dream archives. You also give TBL Journal permission to create a souvenir print anthology — of the issue in which your work appeared in — for you, for the fellow contributors who also submitted work, and for potential giveaways as part of the promotion of you and your work. REMINDER: TBL Journal works to promote YOU. Copyrights always remain with the author/artist/photographer and work will not be sold for profit.
In the body of your email submission, please provide an introduction:
• Full Name & (Optional) Online Pen Name
• Bio Picture or Avatar (Attached)
• Brief Personal Bio (150 – 200 words)
• Social Media Link(s)
• Link to Blog/Website
• Link(s) to Previous Publications (if applicable)
Send Submission(s) To:
Subject line: Your name (Indicate the type of submission you’re submitting: Fiction/Creative Non-Fiction, Poetry, Art, Photography, Combinación/Combination)
TBL Journal does not charge reading fees for The Wire’s Dream.
• Submissions for The Wire’s Dream are accepted year-round and are organized according to TBL Journal’s semi-annual parts
• Copyrights remain with the author/artist/photographer. Please credit TBL Journal’s The Wire’s Dream with 1st publication.
• Simultaneous submissions are accepted, provided that you note which pieces are being simultaneously submitted, if any.
• Feedback for written work may be given in an opt-in basis only. Please note whether you want feedback on any written work in your Personal Introduction.
Respect & Value
Please consider that all work published by TBL Journal must adhere to our Credo. With this in mind, pieces that are explicitly construed as openly offensive, violent, sexist, racist, hateful, and/or hurtful to any person(s) or group(s) will not be considered and will be deleted.